Friday, October 28, 2011

Trouble With Toddlers

On a recent hospital visit, I was asked to take Gilda into an adjoining room on the Infant/Toddler Unit (7200). Inside the double room were twin boys around 2 years old. Usually this age group is right up Gilda's alley... Usually.
The little guys with their blonde crew cuts were up and running around the room. I got down on the floor next to Gilda and began talking to the boys. One seemed excited to have a dog visitor and the other seemed disinterested at best.
The parents and the nurse were all also in the room so it was somewhat chaotic. Before any of us could even react, *WHAP* One of the boys had picked up his mother's flip-flop and whacked Gilda right over the head with it!
Gilda's response was to drop to her belly and whine about it. Needless to say, I was thrilled with her choice! She truly seemed as shocked and confused that someone would actually strike her as the rest of us were!
Doing my very best to remain calm, I ended the visit and walked her out of the room on a very short leash...
She was visibly jumpy for the rest of her time in the hospital and who could really blame her.

{Ready to go?}


This week, I decided that maybe we should steer clear of Toddlers for awhile until we could do some work and make sure she was comfortable with them again. Gilda seems to do much better in the open waiting areas where she can see the people coming up to meet and greet her. She seems a little unsure about what her 'job' is inside patient rooms. (Sometimes we get on the bed, sometimes we don't. Sometimes I have to stay on the right side of the patient but sometimes it's the left. Sometimes Mom picks my front end up and my back feet slip on the floor. Sometimes she turns me around and tiny people pet my back).

I had the great idea of going to the Surgery Waiting Area on on the 4th floor. Who needs a 'dose of dog' more than kids and their families anxious about surgery?

We checked in at the Reception desk and let the staff know that we'd be around. I saw a large group of people and we slowly made our way toward them. I sat in a chair with Gilda at my feet and introduced her to the large group when suddenly a 3 year-old boy ran straight up to her face like toddlers will do. Oh Jeez...

This time Gilda's response wasn't as perfect as before. Luckily the toddler's mom was right there and was very proactive. She corralled the little guy while I handled Gilda. We had him give her 2 treats for performing a 'sit'. I would have preferred to end the visit there but there were at least 4 other kids in the group that were interested in meeting Gilda and asking questions about her.

With everyone's help, Gilda did very well and all the kids got to   interact with her and have her do tricks. Hopefully her visit gave them all a brief respite while they anxiously awaited news of their little one in surgery.

{Toddlers can be tiring!}


No comments:

Post a Comment